Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Trash, Trash, Everywhere Among US (or us)

Luckily for me, I had an advantage of knowing that I, like other Americans, am an innocent pig by nature. This gave me time to change my evil deeds a little bit. As you can see, the trash diary shows I'm not that wasteful (yet have a lot of change to go). I have my mom cook for me, so I don’t have to worry about wasting materials at a restaurant. I also use a water bottle for drinking and continue to reuse it instead of buying more bottles. Of course, after like a week, I have to change it due to the chemicals that could infest my fluids. The majority of my trash comprises of napkins because I’m a little obsessed about being clean. Occasionally I like to eat out when I know I’ll be in school for quite a while. So that docked me some points. I only had to buy a book for this quarter, but when I buy something else, I tell the cashier to keep the receipt, so I can wash my hands of that trash. I bet I can lower my ecological footprint pretty substantially, yet I'm saving it for when I graduate and I don’t have to rely on printing out lecture slides. That's one of those moments I wish my brain was a computer so I can remember facts spoken to me once without having to rely on lectures, printing them, and books. Oh well.

Week 1: 5 plastic wrappers, 2 plastic trays, 20 sq ft of napkins, 150 squares of toilet paper, 2 plastic bottles, 3 plastic bags of chips, 4 banana peels, 7 pieces of paper, 3 paper wrappers, 1 cardboard tray, 2 packets of hot sauce

Week 2 : 7 plastic wrappers, 50 sq ft of napkins, 130 squares of toilet paper, 1 plastic 2 liter bottle, 2 plastic bottles, 1 bag of chips, 3 spoonfuls of mashed potatoes, 1 kg of chicken, 2 cardboard boxes, a plastic gallon of milk, a plastic bag of bread, 2 paper wrappers, 2 cardboard trays,

1 comment: